SEO is an important element of any business, and it provides one of the most reliable ways that customers can find you online. However, while it is a great idea for all type of businesses to be known to customers all over the world, becoming popular in your local area is even more important because it brings customers straight to your door.
Local SEO Makes You a Contender in Your Own Community
With the large scale development of tablets and smart phones, people now often use them to find local businesses like restaurants, bookshops, travel agencies, etc. on the go. If you are a business that can provide customers with products as soon as they cross your doorstep, then you need to work on improving your Local SEO. In a nut shell, this means that you need to be at the top of search results that are related to your product. So, if you are a restaurant or fast food joint someone is hungry, they need to find your food in the search results before they find anyone else.
How to Become ‘Found’
Because you are trying to become famous in a much smaller geographic area you will likely need the help of an SEO professional to accomplish this. There is usually a set process through which your business’ website is analyzed for its Local SEO value:
- Discover which keywords appear most frequently on your website
- Analyze how many of them are directly related to your local area
- Decide on the 10 most frequently used keywords that customers will search for if they are in your neighbourhood and are looking for your product (this is usually the name of the street and neighbourhood that you are in, as well as the name of your city, followed by the name of the product that you are selling)
- Create new content for your website that will include these keywords (it will not be as effective on old content)
- Decide on the time frame that you will need to accomplish this
Your Business on a Map
Not only do you need to be on the top of the search results, you also need to be easily located on a map, so that the GPS system in your customer’s smart phone can lead them right to you. This is easily achieved by adding your business to all of the most frequently used smart phone maps, and then testing it out yourself to make sure that you are indeed visible.
Local SEO development is very easily forgotten by business holders when they are working on their own marketing strategy, because webmasters usually only focus on the impact of the business on a global scale. But there is nothing better than having customers who live and working in your neighbourhood, because they are likely to become regulars and to promote your business through word of mouth. The more frequently customers reach you locally, the more likely they are to post their location on social websites, which will in turn let others know of your location and will bring you even more customers.